When you’re in the trenches, digging away at getting out of debt, it’s easy to see a lot of dirt. After all, that’s what you’re focused on: the nitty gritty. But it’s ok to look up at the stars too. In fact, it’s imperative, because the stars are where you’re headed.
Once you’re debt free, you’ll have a lot more money available — money that you used to pay to creditors for interest, fees, and payments, but that will now be available for you.
Continue to pay attention to your finances, and you can budget in all kinds of fun stuff.
In no particular order, here are just a few of the guilt-free things you can do when you’re out of debt:
- Go out to eat
- Pay cash for your next new car, and drive it off the lot knowing that you own it
- Pay cash for a fun sports car that you don’t even need
- Take trips to your favorite places
- Check the mail without dread
- Deposit your check and watch the money stay in your account until you decide to spend it
- Buy a new entertainment system
- Finally get rid of that ratty old couch
- Get that expensive surgery your pet needs without worrying about how you’re going to pay for it
- Send your kid on a field trip to Washington, D.C.
- Go clothes shopping because there’s a fun sale and you have the money
- Contribute to retirement and college funds
- Take the kids to Disneyland
- Have movie night on a regular basis — at the theater, even
And that’s only a start. You can do whatever you plan to do, once your money is all yours.
What would you add to the list?